Beef Fajita Cornbread Waffles


I love my Tefal Snack Collection and use it to make waffles as a treat. More often than not, they are of the sweet kind, topped with stewed apple, other fruit and maple syrup.

I have been known to do savoury waffles too but have not made cornbread waffles so thought I would give it a try.

Whilst there are a lot of ingredients, by doing the mix and leaving it to stand for a while allows you to do all of the prep work ahead of time and it makes it a quick meal to cook... and if you wanted to, you could use purchased Fajita seasoning.

I found this delicious.




Cornbread Waffles
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
60 grms butter chopped
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup uncooked polenta
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons bi-carb soda
2 teaspoons Fajita seasoning
1 teaspoon salt

Fajita Seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder.
1 teaspoon paprika.
1 teaspoon garlic powder.
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cumin.
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano.
1 teaspoon sea salt.
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper.


Fajita Topping
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons Fajitas Seasoning Mix
500grms lean sirloin or fillet steak cut into strips
1 green Capsicum cut into thin strips
1 red Capsicum cut into thin strips
1 yellow Capsicum, cut into thin strips
1 large brown onion sliced into thin wedges

Garnish
Shredded Cheese
Salsa
Sour Cream
Tomato Diced
Avocado Diced or sliced
Spring Onions
Coriander Chopped
Lime wedges


Waffles
These instructions are for the Cuisine Companion. If you don't have one, melt the butter first and then mix everything together.

1.     Place the butter in the bowl with the kneading blade.
2.     Select Speed 3 Temp 80 Time 3 min.
3.     Add remaining ingredients and select Pastry P1 Time 1m 30s.
4.     Pause program after 30s and scrape down sides.
5.     Resume program.
7.     Put mixture aside for an hour while you prep
6.     Cook waffles in the usual manner.

Fajitas

1.     Put oil in a fry pan and heat until hot
2.     Add beef and 1tbs seasoning
3.     Fry beef strips until cooked (not long if cut thin)
4.     Remove from pan
5.     Add onions, capsicum and 1tbs seasoning
6.     Fry onions and capsicum until soft
7.     Add meat back to pan and fry until heated
8.     Place on cooked waffles and garnish



This made a LOT of mixture. There are only 2 of us here at Chez BeaJay and I could have probably made a third of the mixture. Also, I found the actual cornbread waffles delicious with a great texture but a lot more filling than the normal light mix I do for sweet waffles. Added to that, the substantial toppings, I found I could only eat half of my plate. 



I cooked half of the topping ingredients in the recipe as there is only 2 of us, and I used it all. Yet, I only used a very small amount of the waffle mix. The below jug was rounded on top of mix before using and I made 2 full waffles on the snack maker. A bit of a waste. I will be working next week so won't be able to be making waffles so will be throwing the rest out..

Verdict - YUM.




Comments

Popular Posts